However, I found my true Meaning and Purpose of life with Parenting of my child.
Positive Psychology made me appreciate the good in both of us. Parenting Lens helped me come up with models and frameworks that are easy to apply to enjoy parenting journey for parents and children.
Below is my journey in brief!
We all know that Parenting is a journey and to know the process better, I had to delve into Psychology – to understand the basics of human behaviour. It helped me to complete my Graduate Diploma in Psychotherapy & Counselling from The School of Positive Psychology, Singapore.
This was furthered by researching in the lastest branch – “Positive Psychology”. All thanks to this amazing person Ms Jana Dawson who during my training process, introduced me to this evidence-based field of psychology. Later, I could identify myself with the ‘science of happiness’ and eventually it turned out to be my calling. This also helped me to complete my Graduate Diploma in Applied Positive Psychology from The School of Positive Psychology, Singapore.
I am very fortunate to have undergone SPARK Resilience Course by the developer of this programme and my guide in this journey of well-being, Ms Ilona Boniwell. And it was an auspicious and opportune moment that I received her blessings at the time.
In this journey of understanding relationships, happiness, well-being, and parenting, I enrolled on the next level of education i.e. Postgraduate Diploma in Positive Education Strategies from The School of Positive Psychology, Singapore. I completed it on 1 September 2021.
Now, I am embarking on my next milestone in the journey of mastery of the subject i.e. Masters in Applied Positive Psychology from Anglia Ruskin University, United Kingdom.
I understand that Parenting is very tiring and hectic, therefore whatever time I am left within a day, I try to indulge in reading the notable works of Dr Ed Diener, Dr Ilona Boniwell, Dr Martin Seligman, Dr Barbara Fredrickson, Dr Angela Duckworth, Dr Evie Rosset, Dr Sonja Lyubomirsky, Dr Judith S. Beck, Dr Daniel J. Siegel, Dr Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Dr Jon Kabat-Zinn, Dr Lea Waters, Dr Christopher Peterson, Dr Kristin Neff, Dr Robert Biswas-Diener, Dr Ryan M. Niemiec, Dr Neal Mayerson, Dr Matthew D. Lieberman, Dr Itai Ivtzan, Dr Brené Brown, Dr Marc A. Brackett, Dr Shauna Shapiro, Dr Todd B. Kashdan, Dr Tim Lomas, Dr Carol Ryff, Dr Holli-Anne Passmore, Dr Peter Gray, and the like.
It helped me understand and shift my focus from ‘what is wrong’ to ‘what is good’ and ‘how can we get better’ processes. And how to make a balanced use of my Strengths. I happen to find an organic connection by applying the science of positive psychology into everyday interaction with my child as well. It has helped us to do activities together as shared by The VIA Institute on Character on their Facebook Page.
The quest has further led me to earn certificates like:
3. In the refinement and specialistion process of parenting journey, I am closely following the works of an eminent research scientist Dr Lea Waters. She has published numerous research papers, relevant to the new science of Positive Education and Parenting. I admire her work, in her book, that comes straight from heart, “The Strength Switch”. Moreover, she has recently launched her course by the same name. And our family is proud to say that we are A Strength Switch Family. Date of completion – 21 February 2020.
7. The Science of Happiness – Exploring the roots of a happy and meaningful life, by The Greater Good Science Center, University of California, Berekely, USA in association with the EdX, BerkeleyX GG101x. This training was completed under the guidance of Dr. Dacher Keltner and Dr. Emiliana R. Simon-Thomas. Date of completion – 31 May 2021.
8. Certified Digital Wellness Educator – With a solution-focused approach, my training at the Digital Wellness Institute helped me get a good grasp on digital wellness concepts with science and research-based evidence. I completed this training on 28 November 2021, under the guidance of Nina Hersher, Amy Blankson and a team of experts at DWI. My final project is on this link.
9. I had the honour of getting trained by Dr Robert Biswas-Diener in learning the multiple facets of Positive Psychology Coaching. It was once in a lifetime experience to have received this opportunity as a result of the wonderful partnership between Positive Acorn and The School of Positive Psychology. I am thankful to Stephen Lew and to the wonderful people whom I met on this journey… Eve Loo, Zax Woon CCSP, Wei Jun Ngo, IHRP-CA, Frank Geelink, Fern Lim.
I completed this module by 7 May 2021.
With the blessings of my friends, mentors, teachers, family and the entire community, I am hoping that I will be able to contribute towards the well-being of all, as in the words of Dr Christopher Peterson – “Other People Matter”.
Besides, I am in constant touch with active Positive Leaders of the world and the Positive Community, it helps to keep myself continuously evolving in this research-based movement of Positive Psychology. In this attempt, I have enrolled myself as the member of the following organisations:
1. International Positive Psychology Association, USA. Member ID: 6808
2. Positive Education Schools Association, Australia. Subscription ID: 32671
3. World Happiness Fest, Spain. Member ID: 318
5. Active Member of Singapore Positive Education Network, Singapore
6. ORCID iD
Shaleen Porwal – https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3338-5846
Words of Wisdom
Raising children is vastly more than fixing what is wrong with them. It is about identifying and nurturing their strongest qualities, what they own and are best at, and helping them find niches in which they can best live out these strengths.Martin Seligman
Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.Viktor Frankl
Parentage is a very important profession, but no test of fitness for it is ever imposed in the interest of the children.George Bernard Shaw
We are all together in this, let’s learn, share and…evolve!